Dump The Frump – What To Do When You Don’t Feel Fabulous!
No matter how many positive thoughts you have, visits to the gym you make or healthy food you intake; it is almost guaranteed you are bound to feel frumpy, frustrated and lack self-confidence at some point in your life.
Let’s face it, if we didn’t feel “yucky” some days how can we appreciate or know how amazing feeling fabulous can be!
One thing is certain for us all and that is…life isn’t without its challenges.
Hence, it is only natural that some days our challenges can take their toll on us both physically and emotionally having negative repercussions that result in us being self critical of our appearance.
This then leads to low self-esteem, lack of confidence and uncertainty about our choices. Have a few of these days in a row and suddenly it has become a habit to see your self in this negative light.
As our area of expertise is styling and our company’s mission is to “help individual’s enhance their natural beauty with colour and style”, this article is all about offering you some tips and coping mechanisms for when times may be a tad tough.
Some “life challenges” that can leave you feeling frumpy are;
- weight gain or loss
- over worked/ lack of sleep/ fatigue
- life changing experiences
- relationship breakups
Some “life changers” that you can make to help stop that feeling frumpy are;
- wear the correct colours for your complexion, features and personality – as stylists we have proven time and time again that colour creates energy and can effect our mood therefore, surrounding yourself in hues that uplift and enhance your natural beauty will energise you instantly. Colour can also create the illusion of depth and lightness hence, wearing colours that flatter your body shape can also make your silhouette appear larger or smaller. Yes, colour is an essential tool in illusion dressing!
- flatter your figure with correct garment styling for your shape – often when we are feeling unsure or lacking confidence it is easy to hide under layers. This can effect your posture, poise and attitude. Learning how to “embrace your curves or lack of” is essential in the endeavour to ‘dump the frump’ feeling.
- apply a little makeup – Correctly applied makeup will enhance your features and give your complexion a healthy glow ultimately making you look and feel more energetic.
Below is an exert from our book “Stylish, Sexy and Sane…in 30 days!” that explains the 3 key elements of what makeup can do for your appearance thus resulting in you feeling more confident about your appearance.
- Camouflage: makeup can conceal imperfections and blemishes allowing us to have a flawless complexion
- Colour: makeup adds or enhances the colour in our face and eyes leaving us looking more radiant and energised. Colour can also be an accessory to our look, for example a strong red lip can add drama to an outfit
- Enhance: makeup can be used to sculpt, shape, enhance and heighten our features, face shape and natural beauty
- Activate positive “image” affirmations daily– how we talk to ourselves is of the utmost importance. Whether we like it or not our body hears everything our mind says! Be sure to fill your subconscious with “nice”, positive thoughts…the beauty of affirmations is- you don’t have to actually believe them, you just have to say or think them and your subconscious does the “good” work for you!
- Be kind to your body and appreciate what it does for you everyday – too often we are cruel to ourselves without even knowing it with; lack of sleep, an inconsistent beauty regime, overindulging in unhealthy food or alcohol, no regular exercise and us not taking “me” time to recharge. Your body is no different to a car…it needs to be serviced, cared for and topped up with “good fuel” so it can run well and get you from point A to point B safely! From a style perspective you can be “kind” to yourself by always ensuring you are complimenting your personality and physical attributes with styles and colours that are perfect for you, ultimately making you smile with confidence!
So next time you are feeling frumpy, unattractive or down on yourself revisit the list above and try at least 2 of our suggestions. We can almost guarantee you will feel better, stronger and more grateful.
Don’t forget if you need a “defrump” hit we have a fabulous Facebook community that all “sistas” are welcome to join where we share; style tips, fashion updates and our personal “real life” everyday looks in the hope we can inspire and educate all “sistas” (and blokes too) to embrace who they are and feel fabulous in the process.
Until next time,
Sam & Jordi xx