5 ways to be a better Sista
Sista’s, we can be downright mean to each other don’t you think?
We’ve all encountered the mean girl. At times, we’ve been the mean girl. C’mon, you know it’s true.
How many times have heard how awful girls are to other girls? How many times have you heard women ridiculing other women?
Too many times. Too many times I’ve heard it. Too many times I’ve seen it.
But guess what, if you want something to change, you need to change. It starts with you, today, not tomorrow, right now in fact.
Today, 12th June 2015 is the day it changes.
Today, women are united in saying #gotyourbacksista. Today, women have decided that we’re not going to pull down, bitch, gossip and undermine. Today, women are going to uplift, inspire and love. Today, women will band together to say, Sista, whatever you want to do, whoever you want to be, whatever support you need, I’ve got your back.
If you’re a woman with a heartbeat and want to see greater outcomes for women – start a movement within your own precious heart.
START WITH THESE 5 CHANGES:
1. LOYALTY: If you want your Sista to be loyal to you, you be loyal to her. Stay true to your word and your promises.
2. ACCEPTANCE: Every Sista has her story, her truth, her mind, her body. It’s hers. Exclusively, beautifully and uniquely – hers. Why try and change it? Celebrate it.
3. COMMUNICATION: If your Sista has said something or done something that has hurt you, talk to her, not to everyone else about it. None of us are perfect, we all have off days. It will be over faster if you talk about it rather than stew over it.
4. SUPPORTIVENESS: Encourage your Sista. Be her personal cheerleader to call on for the good times and the bad. When her finish line seems kilometres away, cheer her on until she makes it whatever that may be.
5. COLLABERATION: Women. Separately we have parts but together, we have it all. When we band together nothing is impossible. If we compete against each other we all lose.
But hey, I do those things, how is that going to change anything?
Change comes we decide that we’ve had enough of what see over and over again. When we realise what we have been doing isn’t working and we need to do something different.
When we realise we live:
- In an age where women are being assaulted and killed in their own homes
- In an age where women earn less because of their gender
- In an age where women are objectified
- In an age where women feel intimidated by men
- In an age where women feel unsafe
- This is the bottom line. We are in this together whether we like it or not.
When one woman rises, we all rise, when one woman is pulled down, we’re all pulled down.
Who do you want to be, what part do you want to play? Do you want to pull down and undermine? Are do you want to uplift, inspire and love?
The choice is yours and only yours. You can say #gotyourbacksista or not. It’s up to you.
Rita Barnett is a counsellor/psychotherapist who loves working with women who may have had difficult relationships in the past, and want to discover new ways to have happy and fulfilled relationships in their future. Rita believes that the most important person you need to have solid relationship with is you. From that, everything else follows.